Here is a diagram showing some styles that inspire me and how much they each influence my own style.
In general I am fond of and inspired by the following:
- Darker styles and darker colors. Various gothic styles, dark mori etc. Black, dark browns and greys, dark reds...
- Opulent fabrics and colors. Brocade, embroidery, velvet... Dark gold, deep gemstone colors.
- Natural materials and colors. Linen, wool, felt, leather, fur, wood... Browns, greys, neutrals, rusty colors.
- Innocently romantic styles, materials and colors as a contrast to darker ones. Floral patterns, blush colors, sheer fabrics.
- Vintage and historical styles.
- Bohemian, folkish and ethnic styles.
- Decay! Wear and tear, imperfection... Anything tarnished or with a patina.
- Texture! As many different textures as possible!
- Somewhat sinister accessories and materials. Bones, animal sculls, claws...
- Romantic accessories to use as contrast. Flower hair accessories, cameo brooches, lace...
- Steampunkish accessories. Pocket watches, old keys etc.
- Jewelry made of copper, bronze or iron. Folkish jewelry or historical.
That'll do for now...